Background
200 hundred years after St Clare, St Colette (1381-1447) was called by God to found and reform many Monasteries in France, Belgium and other countries. Shortly before she died in Ghent, (Holland) she appointed some sisters from that Monastery to start a foundation in Lorraine, a province in the East of France, in a small town named Pont-a Mousson. (1447).
This monastery flourished and continued up to the French Revolution, when it was destroyed and the nuns scattered in 1792.
Meanwhile Ghent had founded a monastery in Bruges (Belgium) in 1479
In 1837, Bruges founded Tournai, (North of France) Tournai founded Roubaix in the same region in 1876. Then the anticlerical laws of the French government in 1905 obliged the nuns of Roubaix to take refuge in Belgium where they settled in Renaix in 1903. In 1920, the monastery of Renaix decided to reestablish the Poor Clare life in Lorraine. The town of Nancy, see of the Diocese, was chosen and the foundresses arrived there in March 1921.
It is from there, from the monastery of Nancy, that our founding Mothers came. In the 1950ties and 1960ties, a number of young girls had entered the monastery and the community was looking forward to make a foundation in mission countries according to the advice of the Council Vatican II.
Our foundation was very much connected with the Ugandan Martyrs, canonized by St Paul VI in Oct 1964. The uncle of one of the young sisters of the Monastery of Nancy, Fr Payeur, was a Missionary of Africa (White Father) working in Uganda. He had gone to Rome for the canonization of the Martyrs, and came to visit his niece, Sr M Francis, before returning to his mission. Fr Payeur encouraged the Abbess and the Sisters in their project of foundation and promised to find a bishop willing to welcome them in Uganda. Mgr. Ogez bishop of Mbarara was enthusiastic about receiving Contemplative Sisters in his diocese, and the foundation was decided in 1965. The illness and death of the Abbess, M M Bernadette, delayed the realization of the foundation which began only in January 1967.We recall with gratitude the offering of her life that M M Bernadette made before dying. She said that she had seen” the first Ugandan girl coming to enter the monastery, with her basket on her head!”. She went to the Lord on 14th June 1966.
On 25th January 1967, the group of the foundresses headed by M. M. Paul, the new Abbess, arrived in Entebbe, welcomed by Fr Payeur and other Missionaries of Africa.
At the beginning, the 6 first foundresses settled in Butale-Buhweju- in a former Convent of the Sisters of Our Lady of Good counsel. It was a beautiful place, but they soon realized that they were too far away to be known and attract vocations. Bishop JB Kakubi, who had succeeded Bishop Ogez, gave them the place where the Monastery was built in 1969 and 1970. The sisters moved in in Feb 1971 while the Chapel was still in construction.
Meanwhile, Pope St Paul VI made his first visit to Africa, in Kampala. He himself had given the name of the monastery:” Monastery of the Holy Church. “On 2nd August 1969 he blessed the first stone – now fixed in the sanctuary of the chapel- while the foundresses and the 2 first Ugandan Novices were there among the big congregation at Namugongo”.
In 1971, Uganda started to experience political turmoil with Amin Ddada in power. All the initial foundresses except M.M. Francis, were refused the renewal of their visa and had to leave in July 1973. Happily 2 other sisters had come from France in 1971 and already 4 young Ugandan Sisters were in formation, so the small community continued its life of prayer, relying on the protection and providence of God.
Soon, the sisters became known and were supported not only by their Bishop but by priests, religious and lay Christians around, while slowly young girls came to join them. At that time of danger, fear and stress, the monastery became a place of prayer, retreat and recollection. In a quiet way, the Catholic Charismatic Renewal began here, with Fr Roger Labonte MA leading the way.
We especially experienced the protection of God during the war of 1979 when Mbarara town and our hill of Nyamitanga were deserted and we found ourselves in the midst of the Tanzanian camp for many weeks! The few priests residing at the Bishop’s House were our Guardian Angels, and indeed had to intervene with the Bishop when we were « visited » by drunk soldiers!!
The monastery became autonomous in August 1981 and the first Council of the Community elected: Mother M. Francis as Abbess, Sr M Benedict as Vicaress and Sr M Assunta as Councilor.
In 1987 the first Ugandan Abbess was elected: Mother M. Annunciata. A few months later, Mother M Francis left the young community she had guided so lovingly for 20 years, to join the Poor Clare hermitage of Sion in France.
The Community continued to grow in number as the monastery developed. Other buildings were later added for work and projects, so as to sustain the sisters and to serve the Church: baking room for Altar Bread, winery for Altar wine, workshop for candle making and a retreat House. The chapel was enlarged twice in 1984 and 2017, to accommodate the many people who pray with us.
As the number of Sisters was approaching 30, we were thinking of making a foundation wherever the Lord would call us, and were waiting for a sign. After a novena to St Joseph for this intention, a call for help came from …Lebanon! It was to re-vitalize the Monastery of Beirut where most of the sisters were ageing and frail. After prayer and discernment and a first visit, we decided to accept this mission and 5 sisters went to Lebanon in April 2022. The challenge is great: to learn French and Arabic, adapt to the culture and the Maronite Rite… and the war which seems never to stop in Lebanon!! 2 other Sisters joined the little group in 2025 and they are holding on courageously. Bishops, priests and religious as well as lay Christians are helping and supporting them in many ways. Our trust is in the Lord!
Our Deceased Sisters

Sr. Clare Therese of the Holy Spirit (Gertrude Erlinspiel)
Birth : 21st April 1926 in Hagnau Germany
Entrance to Postulancy:15th Dec. 1952 in Assisi, Italy
Clothing: 15th Oct. 1953in Assisi, Italy
1st Profession: 31st Oct. 1954 in Assisi - Italy
Solemn Profession: 3rd Nov. 1957 in Assisi – Italy
1969:Transfered to Nancy
1974 Joined the Foundresses and transferred permanently to Monastery of the Holy Church when it became sui juris.
1987 – 1990: Councillor of the Community
Feastday: 11th August (Feast of St. Clare)
Entry into Eternity (RIP) 11th July 2017
Funeral: 14th July 2017
Buried in the Monastery Cemetery.

Sr. M. Angela of our Lady of the Angels (Tamwesigire Veronica)
Birth: 8th Jan. 1939 Kabale – Kigezi Experience living with the Sisters: 1967 - 1968 Entrance to Postulancy: 6th March 1969 Clothing: 18thAugust 1969 1st Profession: 14th June 1972 Solemn Profession: 10th May 1976 Feast day: 2nd August Entry into ETERNITY: 14th July 2021 Buried in the Monastery cemetery 15th July 2021

Sr. Mary Benedict of the Holy Family (Teremwamwino-gwayo. Maria Fulgensia)
Birth: 24th Dec 1954 Entrance in the Enclosure: 9th September 1973 Entrance to Postulancy: 24th November 1973 Clothing: 28th April 1974 1st Profession: 10th May 1976 Solemn Profession: 14th June 1980 Vicaress: 1981-1984; 1987-1990 Councillor: 1984-1987 Feast Day: 16th March Rested into Eternal Peace: 7th June 1990 Funeral Mass: 9th June 1990 Buried in the Monastery Cemetery